- RECENT ARTICLES
- 15 Things Mentally Strong People Do...
- Vegan Chocolate & Almond Butter Fudge (In Under 5 Mins)
- 5 Healthy Foods To Lower Stress Levels Fast
- 6 Super Spring Detox Foods
- Are you eating these 5 powerful green foods?
- Diet Soda Linked With Premature Death In Women
- Surprising Nutrient That Helps Kids Sleep
- Old Health Trends Are Becoming Trendy Again!
- The Surprising Reason Chocolate is SO Darn Healthy
- Healthy Raw Cookie Dough Balls (Recipe)
- POPULAR ARTICLES
- 10 Reasons To Quit Coffee (Plus Healthy Alternatives)
- 10 Things the Processed Food Industry Doesn't Want You to Know
- 22 Habits Of Happy People
- Are We Overfed And Starving To Death?
- Could Diet Sodas be Making You Depressed?
- Gluten Confirmed To Cause Weight Gain
- Juicing - The Key to a Vibrant and Healthy Life
- Nature's Best Alternative Sweeteners
- The 7 Nastiest Things Lurking In Your Supermarket
- The Secret Engineering Of Junk Food
be sure to visit us
6 Anti-Anxiety Foods To Calm Your Mind!
By Calm Clinic
Overcoming anxiety without medications involves making lifestyle changes, and that includes changing your diet. There are foods that will help cure anxiety, and foods that will contribute to anxiety, and by choosing the right foods, you can drastically cut down on the amount of anxiety you experience – and possibly improve your mood.
In this article, we'll take a look at some of the foods that improve happiness and reduce stress, so that you can make better decisions with your eating habits.
Top 6 Foods To Relax Your Mind
According to Dr Andrew Saul from the Food Matters film, two handfuls of cashews provide the equivalent mood boosting effects as a therapeutic dose of Prozac. How do they do this? They are one of the highest natural sources of tryptophan, the precursor for the production of serotonin, the feel good hormone, in the brain.
Blueberries are more than a delicious fruit. Many consider it to be a superfood. It's rich in vitamins and phytonutrients (plant nutrients), with a variety of antioxidants that are considered extremely beneficial for relieving stress. Many experts also believe that peaches fall into this category as well, because they have nutrients that appear to have a sedation (calming) effect.
3. Acai BerriesAcai berry is essentially the newest super food, and one that has received a great deal of press recently. It may not be the weight loss fruit that many people claimed it was, but acai berries are still rich in phytonutrients like the blueberry, and the antioxidant levels are off the charts.
4. AlmondsAlmonds are an underrated food. They contain zinc, a key nutrient for maintaining a balanced mood – and have both iron and healthy fats. Healthy fats are an important part of a balanced diet, and low iron levels have been known to cause brain fatigue, which can contribute to both anxiety and a lack of energy.
5. ChocolateChocolate – especially pure dark chocolate without the added sugars or milks – is also a great food for those living with anxiety and stress. Chocolate reduces cortisol – the stress hormone that causes anxiety symptoms. There are also compounds inside dark chocolate that improve mood.
6. Maca RootMaca root is not exactly a popular food item in grocery stores, but the powder can be added to several foods and beverages and is found in a variety of health food stores. It's believed that this root has more phytonutrients than nearly every type of fruit and vegetable, including magnesium and iron – two important nutrients for controlling anxiety. It also is often used for healthy stamina and energy.
Other Foods for Anxiety and Stress
Healthy eating is one of the best ways to control anxiety and stress. In fact, one of the best things you can add to your diet is to drink more water. Many studies have found that dehydration affects as many as 25% of those with persistent stress or more, and dehydration is known to cause more anxiety.
As for foods, anything with magnesium, vitamin B12 (and other B vitamins), zinc, and antioxidants can be beneficial for helping you deal with stress. There are also herbal supplements like kava and passionflower that may be valuable for anxiety.
Controlling Anxiety With FoodAll of the above foods are beneficial for dealing with your anxiety. They provide vitamins and nutrients that are known to calm the mind and body while also increasing energy and stabilizing your mood. Combine those foods with a balanced diet that is free of fried foods and harmful ingredients and you should see a marked difference in your anxiety levels.
What other natural alternatives do you use to relieve stress and anxiety?