- RECENT ARTICLES
- Hungry For Change The Book - Now In Paperback!
- 5 Foods To Rev Up Your Metabolism
- 5 Natural Remedies For Acid Reflux
- 5 Foods To Improve Eye Sight
- A Spiced Coffee To Get You Through An Entire Week!
- Protein Power Bars (Recipe)
- 5 Natural Antibiotics To Fight Illness & Promote Health
- Creamy Raw Fennel Soup
- 4 Ways To Get Nutrients From Your Food (Vs. A Pill)
- 5 Ways To Save Money When Eating Organic
- POPULAR ARTICLES
- 10 Reasons To Quit Coffee (Plus Healthy Alternatives)
- 10 Things the Processed Food Industry Doesn't Want You to Know
- 22 Habits Of Happy People
- Are We Overfed And Starving To Death?
- Could Diet Sodas be Making You Depressed?
- Gluten Confirmed To Cause Weight Gain
- Juicing - The Key to a Vibrant and Healthy Life
- Nature's Best Alternative Sweeteners
- The 7 Nastiest Things Lurking In Your Supermarket
- The Secret Engineering Of Junk Food
be sure to visit us
8 Reasons Tomatoes Can Keep You Young
By Michelle Cook (Care2)
When most people think of tomatoes they think of pasta and pizza, not necessarily their ability to keep people younger-looking and feeling. But tomatoes are an anti-aging superfood that deserves a place in the diet of anyone interested in maintaining healthy skin, preventing age-related diseases like osteoporosis, and even preventing cancer.
Below are 8 reasons you might want to start embracing this juicy red gift from nature.
1. SUN PROTECTION
Lycopene found in tomatoes is one of the compounds known collectively as carotenoids. A large volume of research has shown for decades that carotenoids help protect skin against sun damage.
2. REDUCE RISK OF CANCER
The incidence and risk for most types of cancer tends to increase with age. Research in the CMAJ: the Canadian Medical Association Journal found that the risk of serious chronic diseases like cancer is reduced with increased tomato consumption. Although lycopene has been credited, the scientists found that other nutrients in tomatoes may play a role.
3. PROTECTS FROM HARMFUL BACTERIA
Lycopene, widely considered the most potent antioxidant of the carotenoids, is a powerful antioxidant that not only protects against UV damage it also helps protect against damaging bacteria.
4. LOOK YOUNGER
Lycopene also appears to strengthen skin by inhibiting the activity of collagenases —enzymes involved in the breakdown of collagen in the skin. Collagen helps ensure the firmness and elasticity of your skin and prevents wrinkling.
5. REDUCE RISK OF CHRONIC DISEASES
When scientists analyzed the tissue and blood levels of lycopene in subjects, they found that those people with high levels of this nutrient, primarily found in tomatoes in the Western diet, had a lower risk of chronic diseases.
6. HEALTHY TEETH AND GUMS
Lycopene found in tomatoes keeps your teeth and gums healthy. In studies it has shown antibacterial and antifungal properties and, specifically aided tooth and gum health.
7. PROTECTS AGAINST TOXINS
Thanks again to their rich lycopene supply, tomatoes can help protect our bodies against the effects of toxins, especially aflatoxins (a type of mold often found in peanuts and peanut butter) and cadmium, which is found in cigarette smoke, second-hand smoke and frequently in air pollution.
8. IMPROVE HEART HEALTH
Numerous studies show that lycopene can assist with cardiovascular health. Heart disease is often attributed to poor diet and aging. Increased lycopene consumption helps to improve heart health and obviously helps to displace less healthy food choices in the diet.
What is your favorite way to eat tomatoes?
It seems our ancestors might have held more wisdom than they knew, especially when it comes to natural health. Discover 5 traditional food staples that have begun a modern revival for their remarkable health benefits. ... continue reading
There are a few key concepts from ‘Eating For Beauty’ that David considers to be the most important to getting that beautiful glowing skin from the inside out. ... continue reading
Our daily lifestyle habits are as important as our food choices, especially when it comes to detoxification. Discover 3 simple daily habits that flush out physical and emotional toxins. ... continue reading